9 Tips on running a successful food truck business
As some of you may be aware, since launching Flaming Wheels over three years ago many new food trucks have come up in the Malaysian street food market in the meantime. We must admit it was not easy for us at the beginning, the food truck concept was so new in Malaysia, even the authorities didn't know how to categorise us and give us approval to run our business. However, we were very lucky to get lots of support and recognition from the relevant authorities as they were very impressed with our expertise and design of the truck.
So we were very much learning as we went along and even though we faced lots of struggle, in the end we pulled through. As more and more trucks started up, we also created this 'food truckers tavern' community, which was very reassuring. We shared tips and struggles among ourselves and at the same time we have created a positive environment to share our successes. As time went by the food truck entrepreneurs grew so rapidly we couldn't really keep up with everybody, but we still continue our group of those who initiated this industry. We quickly realised that in this industry it was important to stick together and share the customers instead of being against each other. The unique thing about this business is that the more trucks you have in one spot, the more business you get. Amazing right? Instead of being worried about your competitors, you embrace them and tag along. Personally we love this idea! Click here on more information about starting a food truck business.
Of course, it doesn't always work out so perfectly, and there are those who stab you in the back and will try everything to pull you down, but what business doesn't have those right? After sometime we realised who were those we could trust and stopped focusing on the negativity.
People ask what is the secret of our success in the Malaysian food truck and street food industry as many have failed along the way. Looking back at how we started and how we got to the place we are today, I would say the main thing is perseverance. Especially the first 6 months, it's all about pushing forward and not giving up.
tips on food truck success
- Passion - this is another very important aspect. You need to have passion and treat your business as a newborn baby - nurture and care
- Help others - you are not in this alone, by helping others you will also succeed. Don't look at competition as a threat, but as ally. But carefully select those to work with.
- Money in the bank - you need extra money in the bank the first 6 months until you stabilise your business. So don't expect to start earning immediately
- Be unique - have something you are really good at and is not easy to find on other trucks. Don't be a copy cat!
- Have support - be it your family members, friends or other food truckers, surround yourself with people who will support your passion and help you along the way
- Follow the rules - since the beginning we were very much about following the rules and not simply parking illegally. If you want to do this business longterm and want to grow don't upset the authorities
- Respect your customers - don't cheat your customers and make sure you provide good service as well as good food
- Be consistent - as in every F&B business it is important to provide consistent quality food at all times
- Work hard - you must be ready for hard work, sometime under very difficult weather conditions. But once you see the satisfaction on your customers face, it is all worth it in the end
Read more on what other food truckers wish they knew before starting a food truck business.
What makes Flaming Wheels Food Truck unique?
Well there are a few things which we managed to establish over the past few years. We offer good quality and good value for money meals, our customers leave satisfied. Also we offer a very efficient and good service so all our catering and event parties are run very smoothly no matter how big the crowd. We can do events for 30 pax all the way up to 2,000 pax. Doing big events is not as simple as it seems, you need a lot of pre-planning and organisation to make sure that the customers don't wait too long, but you still offer freshly made meals. This is where our monster truck comes in. That is also one of our unique selling points, we are the only ones with the big 5 ton truck which looks very impressive and definitely stands out in the crowd.
What do our customers say about us?
Overall, the customers are pretty impressed that we can deliver this kind of gourmet food in a street food environment. They are quite impressed with our portions and value for money as well as the presentation. We have decided to use plates instead of boxes in order to achieve that restaurant style presentation. Here are some of the customers comments from our Facebook page:
We really believe the food truck industry has lots of potential in Malaysia and we hope to be a part of it for a long time. Along the way we hope to see more young entrepreneurs grow together with us and that more legislations get implemented to set guidelines for all the food truckers out there.
Fill out the form to apply to be part of our team.